Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Tuesdays With Dorie 15: Pumpkin Muffins



Even though I love pumpkin scones, I was completely uninterested in this weeks recipe. I had it in my mind that they were going to be too 'healthy' tasting to be nice. How wrong I was! This is probably one of my favourite recipes yet from Baking: from my home to yours.

To me, the pecans took it to that next level. I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much without them. Instead of golden raisins, I just used normal ones as that's all I had. In Australia, it doesn't seem we have canned pumpkin puree. I looked at both of our major supermarkets and found nothing. We pretty much have everything else under the sun canned, but not pumpkin! I was actually surprised at some of the things available. The only reason I went looking for the canned pumpkin, is that I liked to stick as close to the original recipe as possible. I know Dorie encourages us to 'play around' but I always like to make the original recipe first, then tweak it the next time. In the end, I just made my own pumpkin puree. I don't think it was as smooth as the kind you could get in a tin, but it really didn't make a difference. I expected my muffins to not have quite as orange a colour as those made with the tinned pumpkin variety, but mine came out so very yellow/orange.



I only made a half batch because since there is only two of us, the muffins would be stale before we got to eat them all. In hindesight, I think I could have made the whole batch because these muffins are so moist (from the addition of the pumpkin). I was really surprised at how moist they were- so I could see these muffins lasting a few days really. I'm not a big breakfast person, but I could happily eat one of these everyday for breakfast and be very happy. I think that because they are pumpkin muffins, I assume they are healthier... they are relatively healthy compared to other baked goods I guess. I would love it if the recipes had all the nutritional information and kilojoule content included.

Anyway, I will definitely be making these again- on a frequent basis actually! A really big thanks to Kelly of Sounding my Barbaric Gulp- I probably would never have baked these otherwise. Also check out the other Tuesdays with Dorie members too.


8 comments:

Engineer Baker said...

Don't you love that about this group? It's always neat to try out a recipe you were sure you wouldn't like and end up liking it. Your muffins look beautiful too - golden orange from the pumpkin.

Anonymous said...

i think the people who used fresh pumpkin, like you, got a more beautiful color in the muffins. great looking photos!

chocolatechic said...

Great job on your muffins.

Bungalow Barbara said...

Your muffins are beautiful -- such a wonderful color!

Bria said...

Thanks everyone.

Yeah I definitely love that about TWD- I get to try so much that I never would if it were up to me. Its so much fun. Especially since I dont have much time to bake at the moment. Its a nice treat once a week.

Shelby said...

You could freeze them too! I love this muffin recipe!

Anonymous said...

They look great Bria and I agree pumpkin in baked goods makes them so moist without needing a lot of oil or butter!

LyB said...

Beautiful! I'll try it with the pecans next time. :)