Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Tuesdays With Dorie 18: Kugelhopf



This week's recipe was chosen by Yolanda of The All-purpose Girl, so don't forget to check out her blog for the recipe.

I'll start by saying that this recipe was a real pain! From what I have read on the Tuesdays with Dorie blog, a lot of people had trouble with it- including myself. I actually ended up making this twice because I really wasn't satisfied with the first one; it didn't rise at all, didn't really pick up the shape of the mould and was almost black on the outside! Poor S was freaking out a bit because I left the baking part all up to him. I had to go to work and left him detailed instructions on what to do, including the time he had to do them. Of course you would all know that time is really just a reference in baking since there are so many factors that can affect it. Anyway it really wasn't S's fault- I blame the overnight rest in the fridge. The next morning when I took the dough out, it was extremely firm (but had been almost runny the day before), making it difficult to fill the mould with it. The dough also didn't rise enough, due to being so cold straight out of the fridge. I told S to let it rise for 2-3 hours but of course, you really need to see it to know when it was ready, which I couldn't do being at work and all. So consequently, my first Kugelhopf was quite stubby.



After the first disaster I was determined to try it again with some modifications. Instead of resting the dough in the fridge for 2 hours (deflating it every half hour), I probably only left it in the fridge for about 30-45 minutes, deflating it once. Then I put it into the mould and let it rise near the warm oven for about 2 hours. By this time it was extremely puffy and had risen almost to the top of the mould. S told me that when he did it, it did not rise that high, so I felt I had started on a high note. Well, everything went so smoothly and the Kugelhopf turned out perfect! Needless to say I was extremely relieved because I really didn't feel like making it again (and I only made it this morning so I was pressed for time). The Kugelhopf is only slightly sweet, but it is delicious. It is unbelievably soft. I used raisins as Dorie suggested, which add a touch more sweetness.

Unfortunately the cake doesn't last long as it dries out quickly- but I am looking forward to eating this toasted with jam for breakfast tomorrow. Don't forget to check out the other Tuesdays with Dorie crew. Oh, forgot to mention that I bought a Kugelhopf tin especially for today's post!


10 comments:

chocolatechic said...

Oh...yours looks so beautiful.

I'm going to make French Toast with my leftovers.

Mari said...

Well done, your crumb looks perfect! Next time, I'll skip on the fridge bit too!

Libby said...

Wow, that's amazing. Good for you for trying twice... this is a recipe you can truly be proud of!

Anonymous said...

That looks absolutely beautiful and I love your cake stand :P What a pain that it had to be made twice but your second one looks beautiful, much nicer than anyone I've ever seen in a shop!

Anonymous said...

Your kugelkopf looks perfect. Good for you trying it again.

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

Stunning success with the second one! I am wishing I had some left to toast for breakfast.

Rebecca of "Ezra Pound Cake" said...

How did you avoid the rising problem that plagued everyone else? Lucky!

Kimberly Johnson said...

Beautifully done!

AmyRuth said...

looks beautiful and I thought toasted with jam was awesome.
AmyRuth

Bria said...

Thanks everyone :) Unfortunately I didnt get to eat much of it because 1) it upset my stomach- too much yeast? and 2) I left for holidays the next day so I gave it to my mum!