Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Tuesdays With Dorie 23: Buttery Jam Cookies



This week's recipe was chosen by Heather of Randomosity and the Girl. I know they have the words 'buttery' and 'jam' in their name, but to be honest, they were neither of these! I really enjoyed them, but found the name of the cookie misleading. I was expecting something quite crispy, with a meltingly delicious butteryness to them. I also thought the jam would be a more prominent flavour.

I think these cookies would be perfect for afternoon tea- they are almost like little tea cakes, texture wise. They aren't too sweet or to flavoursome- I could get really carried away eating too many of them before I knew it. Lookswise, they are quite bland. They need an extra something to make them look more appetising. Once I had beaten the jam (I used raspberry) into the batter, I could tell the flavour would be very subtle, so I swirled a big dollop of raspberry jam through the batter with a knife at the very end. Next time I might swirl in a bit more jam so that the cookies have a nice jam ripple through them.



Overall, I did like these cookies and I will be making them again with different flavours. My biggest concern in using other jams is that the cookie takes on the colour very easily. I know some have mentioned that they used blackberry jam and were left with grey coloured cookies. They would look really cute stored in a glass jar, as when they bake, they form little domes that look like soft pillows.

Have a look at the rest of the Tuesdays with Dorie gang for more flavour inspirations!


7 comments:

Shelby said...

Looks like you put a fork impression on them - makes them look elegant to me!

Engineer Baker said...

Ooo, jam swirl. And I agree, the fork imprint on top makes them look a bit more polished.

vibi said...

WOW! Bria... what an elegant top picture for such simple cookies!
I can't get over that pic...
Okay, I also admit the cookies look pretty darn great too! Bravo!

chocolatechic said...

I love the look of yours.

I did strawberry jam.

We loved them.

kimberly salem said...

i thought you put them in a madeleine pan at first, heh:) they look so cute! i didn't think they were very buttery either, but they were still good.

Anonymous said...

They don't look bland to me, they look adorable! :)

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

I was expecting a bigger jam experience with these and liked them better when I topped them with a dollop of jam. The motivation for covering the tops was to cover up the grayish color from the raspberry cranberry jam I used.