Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tuesdays With Dorie 28: World Peace Cookies



This week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was chosen by Jessica of cookbookhabit, but I am sure that most people couldn't help themselves, and baked these long before this week's challenge. These World Peace Cookies have to be one of the more famous recipes in Baking: from my home, to yours. Heck, I baked these week's ago, and that was restraining myself! I try not to bake too often, because quite frankly, S and I have put on weight these past few months! BUT, I really couldn't help myself with these cookies- I just had to try them. Who knew when they would be chosen? I'm surprised it took this long actually.



In Dorie's cookbook, she says that a neighbour came up with the name for these cookies- according to him, if everyone got a dose of these cookies each day, there would be world peace. I'm not sure if I would go as far as to say that- these cookies are really yummy and a bit different from the usual type, but, I can't say they are my favourite ever. S would disagree, but as some of you know by now, everything becomes his new favourite. This week, World Peace Cookies are the new Gingerbread cake to S, if you know what I mean?



The first time I made these cookies I had a bit of trouble with the dough. I was extremely cautious not to overmix the dough, but I think this resulted in undermixed dough. It was virtually impossible to form the dough into a log. Cutting it into cookies was even worse! Each cookie I attempted to slice, shattered into a thousand pieces. I gave up, and ended up rolling little balls of dough then flattening them. While these turned out fine, I just love the look of sliced cookies and I really think it plays an important part in these cookies' texture. Luckily, this time I had learnt from that experience, and made sure I didn't undermix the dough. This resulted in me being able to slice off nice cookies. I admit that it was still difficult, but not impossible. I read some suggestions that you should freeze the dough in a log shape, take it out of the freezer for about 10 minutes, then slice. I'll try this next time for sure.



While they weren't my favourite cookies ever (I'm not a cookie kind of girl though), they are undeniably delicious. They are intensly chocolatey, thanks to the pieces of chopped chocolate throughout. Belonging to the sable family, the texture is amazing- I think I'm obsessed with the texture more than anything else. Particularly this most recent batch. To the most important part, fleur de sel. I am an absolute salt nut. I love it. I am not really a sweet person, but put anything salty and savoury in front of me, and I'm in trouble. Salt... mmm. Anyway, the salt definitely lifts this cookie to another level. As I said before, the cookie is very chocolately, so the salt really balances this out with a hit of savouryness. I have only used fleur de sel in these cookies, so I can comment on the use of regular salt.


20 comments:

Megan said...

These weren't my favorite either, but at least we tried, right?

Bridget said...

The salt sounds like it's a great combo with the chocolate!

Jules Someone said...

RIght there with ya. I liked them, but I don't feel the need to rush out and bake them again.

Jennifer said...

Sorry these weren't your favorite! They looked great!

Ellen and Tom said...

I love salty & sweet too! These cookies are not my fave either but it was my 3rd try and each time they have turned out differently. I might need to try a 4th round someday.

Susan @ SGCC said...

I love these cookies! They're one of my faves. Yours turned out just great! Love your pics too. Well done!

vibi said...

No! no! ...let them eat cookies! LOL
Well, okay ...but not the World Peace, I'm saving those for myself!

Wonderful pictures, Bria... just as nicely done as the cookies!

Teanna DiMicco said...

You're not a cookie kind of girl!? Oh man! I love cookies! Glad you did kind of like them, though... they really are delicious!

chocolatechic said...

These were fabulous cookies.

I just loved them.

Jamie said...

great pics and delicious cookies!

Bria said...

I suppose these cookies seemed a bit hit and miss amongst everyone. I'll definitely make them again!

Anonymous said...

I like the sound of a chocolate sable biscuit with chips inside it!

Unknown said...

I feel the same way. They were good but not unworldly good. Pretty pictures! i love sweet and salty too!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Your cookies did slice up nicely - they look fabulous. I was surprised by how much I like the sables texture; these cookies are among my favorites. My husband has stopped telling me what his favorite TWD recipe is - he says that it would always be the one in front of him!
Nancy

Unknown said...

Your cookies look great - glad you liked them, even if not a cookie person.

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

I am with you that the salt and the texture make these cookies! I loved them, but I am a cookie kind of gal. Your photos make me want more cookies now.

Joy the Baker said...

Your first picture totally has my mouth watering. Looks dreamy!

Anonymous said...

Your cookies look gorgeous. YUM!

Rebecca of "Ezra Pound Cake" said...

Love, love, love your photos! These are so deadly. We ate the first half-batch before I could get photos!

TeaLady said...

Ah, well, different strokes or cookies for different folks. We liked them and will probably make them again. Yours look really good.