Thursday, April 16, 2009

Brigadeiro



I recently made a batch of Brigadeiro's for a Brazilian friend of S's. He has been living in Australia for 15 or so years now, and we thought it would be the perfect Easter present for him and his family. When I first started looking for Brazilian candy ideas, Brigadeiros were without a doubt the most popular in my searches. To me, they didn't really sound that appetising though- condensed milk, cocoa powder and butter? Tasty...



While I was not a huge fan of these little soft balls of sweetness, S thoroughly enjoyed them, as did his friend (thankfully). Since I had not made Brigadeiros before, I wasn't sure if the texture should still be soft, or more chewy like a toffee. I was told that I had made them perfectly though, and that they should still maintain a softness about them. My next project is to try making Dulche de Leche!

Brigadeiro, from GroupRecipes:
  • 1 can of Condensed Milk
  • 2 tablespoons of butter
  • 2 tablespoons of powered chocolate
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla
Directions

Put the condensed milk into a sauce pan

Add the butter and the chocolate

Mix it all and turn on the fire to medium

Stir during the whole process

After about 7 minutes, it will start boiling

Stir the mixture constantly until it starts to lose contact with the pan

Stir for a couple minutes more and turn the fire off

Wait about 30 minutes for the mixture to cool

When it is cooled, put some butter on your hands and start making little balls with the mixture

After that roll them in the chocolate sprinkles and put in mini cupcake wrapers

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Those are so cute and so simple!!

Sylvia said...

I love brigadeiros Are small and I can eat something sweet without guilty .
I made dulce de leche with condensed milk and just milk and sugar. Both are so good

Teanna DiMicco said...

That is so funny! I was going to make these last night, but I lost the recipe and forgot what they were called! Now I can make them tonight! I hope I like them, though... I'm curious!

vibi said...

Hummm... I'm doubtful. Oh! NO! not of the great taste of your brigadeiros... but more about that kinda recipe that I can never seem to figure out. Ya know... the semi-clear approximate granny kinda cooking? (yeah, when it looks like so and so, you get it off the heat!). But I promise I'll try, Bria... for I would kill for any of the ingredients in those... and your final results look pretty darn nice!

Bria said...

They are really easy to make, and if you love condensed milk, you'll love these!

Anonymous said...

I just saw a recipe for these in some food magazine. I don't remember which one. I had never heard of them before. Your's look wonderful.

Sophia said...

I am half Brazilian, and they are supposed to be fairly soft. However, the original versions don't contain vanilla. But yours look great!

Leda Maria Zanini said...

Hello! I am Brazilian and I have a brigadeiro gourmet studio in São Paulo. Website: www.ninabrigadeiro.com.br