Friday, May 8, 2009

The Perfect Chocolate Mousse



The dessert that I most commonly crave is by far chocolate mousse. Oh it is just so perfect and delicious and chocolately and rich and inviting. I could eat chocolate mousse for the rest of my life. While I would probably devour any type you put in front of me, this is my favourite recipe of all time. Thanks Gordon Ramsay!



Well, the best things in life certainly aren't free... or easy in this case. This mousse is time consuming but very worth it. You start by making a pate a bomb, to which you add some of your favourite melted chocolate (Valrhona Caraibe for me thanks). This is followed by folding in some Italian Meringue, and then finally you gently fold in whipped cream. The texture of this mousse is amazing and it is incredibly stable, meaning you can make it well in advance. I dolloped on a pile of vanilla cream and added some Valrhona crunchy pearls for texture. Delicious.



You can find the recipe in Gordon Ramsay's book Just Desserts.


7 comments:

Creative Classroom Core said...

Perfect chocolate mousse is right! This photo is amazing, and looks sooooo tasty! YuM!

Anonymous said...

OMG. It does sound perfect. I'll have to try it. The Valrhona crunchy pearls sound neat too.

Megan said...

AAAAHHH! You brought me here with pictures of perfect chocolate mousse, but no recipe?

I haven't even seen Gordon Ramsey's book - now I've GOT to find it!

Bria said...

Yes, everyone must try it! I really would have put up a recipe but the thing is so damn long because you have to make all these separate components! One day if I have time i'll try and write it up. His Just Desserts book is one of his old school ones so you could probably find it cheap somewhere though.

Anonymous said...

Oooh look at that lovely airy texture-that looks fantastic! May I ask what what the chocolate balls on top are? I had something similar in another chocolate mousse and loved them but have never seen them in the shops!

TeaLady said...

That chocolate mousse looks fantastic. I love desserts like this made from scratch instead of those awful mixes you find. Great job.

Bria said...

NQN: They are Valrhona crunchy pearls. Very yummy!